Ya Gotta Laugh!


copyright(c) 2019 Daneille Gray Snowden
2019

Ya Gotta Laugh!
If we don't, we will just be stressed beyond oblivion! 
I know there are countless stories that so many can share as they are in the process of learning a new language.
This all happens in the beginning especially of language learning, yet from what I'm told it never ends.
There are times I need to be taken seriously, especially when the subject line is that. Yet, boom - I say something that means either nothing or something that should not come out of my mouth.
So, I asked a few missionaries to share their blunders so we all can get a peek into the humorous yet still difficult side of learning & speaking another language.

Missionary Sarah Mondlane: 

Language mess up: Fila = line Filha = daughter Not sure how many times I’ve told street boys to “faz uma filha” instead of “faz uma fila”: in English means- 'Make me a daughter.'
----------
Missionary Heather Bohler:

Cocรด is poo and coco is coconut. The subtle pronunciation difference that the little accent over the second o makes changes the sentence "Eu gosto de comer o coco." (I like to eat coconut) meaning completely. After being met with squeals of laughter and after getting the pronunciation wrong more than once I stopped telling people I like coconut.
----------
Missionary Sheri Graham:
I confused bicha (line) w/bicho (bug). "Where is the bug?" Also found out bichar = bitch. Oh, the happies & horrors of language!


---------
Missionary Loren Bras
In my first year here I basically told a pastor to come here naked. I was trying to talk about clouds or something... and how they were approaching... I don’t even know. But it was bad!

---------
Missionaries Mat & Andrea Marlin
Matt told a bunch of college students I was serving them something very American...peanut butter and condom sandwiches. He was sure “preservativos” meant preserves. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I once told a girl, with tears in my eyes, that I was thirsty for Jesus. But, instead of saying “sede” I said “SIDA”. I have AIDS for Jesus. ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜‚
----------
ME:

I recently asked a young church man who is a leader in our church how many daughters he had. The thing is; he is single and on fire for Jesus living a holy life. I meant to ask how many siblings he had.
The same leader, I said something to him in church; he said; "Oh mom, don't ever say that again...you didn't mean to say that!" It shall ever be a mystery what I said.

I hope you enjoyed these ...there are so many more and likely I will share them. Especially when they come from all of us here.
All in all...ya gotta laugh!

Comments